The Helping Hand Utility Winners!
- Andrew Taylor (Isador Cohen)
- Reina Archuleta (Smythe Elementary)
- Robert Chatman (Northwood)
Please contact Wanda or Niki at 916.568.3237
The MASTERS Expanded Learning Program is currently offered at twelve Twin Rivers Unified School District schools (Allison, Castori, Fairbanks, FC Joyce, Hagginwood, Hazel Strauch, Northwood, Norwood JHS, Pioneer, Rio Tierra JHS, Smythe Academy K-6 and Woodlake); two schools in the Natomas Unified School District (Bannon Creek and Jefferson) and three in Sacramento City Unified School District (Father Keith B. Kenny, H.W. Harkness, and Isador Cohen).
Our Goal: To help increase academic achievement of youth while providing a safe and productive learning environment during the expanded learning hours. Our program is set up to develop the child’s sense of independence, responsibility and self-worth. We desire to strengthen each child’s cultural identity, while instilling a respect for others who may be different. Empowering students to be academically successful is a vital component of the MASTERS program.
Program Enrollment: MASTERS is FREE and enrollment is based on a first come, first serve basis. MASTERS begins immediately after school and is open Monday-Friday each day that regular school is in session. When the site has a shortened or minimum day, our program starts as soon as students are released from school and ends at the usual time. The second to the last week of school is open enrollment for all students who attend or will be attending the school for the upcoming year. Completed applications are turned in to the Site Coordinator on scheduled times and days. Once a grade level is full, students are placed on a wait list – which will be posted in the front office and updated regularly. Enrollment flyers are handed out to every student who attends the school a month before school ends.
Program Components (activities vary by school site):
- Supper meal
- Homework assistance
- English Language Arts and Math activities aligned to school day curriculum
- Read Aloud sessions
- Independent reading time (100 Book Challenge for K-1st and Accelerated Reader for 2nd – 8th where available)
- SPARK (Sports, Play, Active Recreation for Kids)
- Computer intervention programs
- Character Counts and Second Step
- Enrichment and Visual Performing Arts
- Cup Stacking
- Health and Wellness programs
- MASTERS Sports League (Soccer, basketball, flag football and cheerleading)
Students participating in MASTERS are required to attend all portions of the program, including all academic and enrichment activities. 5 excused and 3 unexcused absences are allowed each trimester. Excused absences such as illness, personal of family crisis must have an appropriate note from the parent, guardian, or doctor. Parents/Guardians are responsible to notify the MASTERS staff by phone or in person if the student attended school but for some reason will be absent for program.
Behavior Policy: All of the school rules also apply in the MASTERS After School Program. If the student(s) does not follow the program’s behavior and classroom rules, consequences will apply. Based upon the severity of the behavioral issue, CFF has the authority to enforce the necessary consequences.
Discipline: Participation in the MASTERS Program is on an initial 20-day probationary period. Students must be able to get along with others and adhere to behavior and classroom rules. It is also necessary for parents/guardians to conduct themselves in a respectful and mature manner when at the MASTERS Program. Acceptable behavior is required to insure continued participation throughout the enrollment period. If disenrollment occurs, a six-month waiting period must pass before re-enrollment can occur, on a space available basis.
Parent/Guardian Involvement and Support: Parents/guardians are always welcome to come and participate with their child during program hours. Accommodations must be arranged in advance.
For any questions regarding the MASTERS After School Program contact: Niki Mendoza, Director of Youth Services at email@example.com.
- Allison Elementary School (K-6)
- Bannon Creek Elementary School (K-5)
- Castori Elementary School (K-6)
- Fairbanks Elementary School (K-6)
- Father Keith B. Kenny (K-8)
- FC Joyce School (K-8)
- Hagginwood Elementary School (K-6)
- H.W. Harkness Elementary School (1-6)
- Hazel Strauch Elementary School (K-5)
- Isador Cohen Elementary School (1-6)
- Jefferson Elementary School (K-5)
- Northwood Elementary School (K-6)
- Norwood Junior High School (6-8)
- Pioneer School (K-8)
- Rio Tierra Junior High School (6-8)
- Smythe Academy (K-6)
- Woodlake Elementary (K-6)